The Saint Florian

In 304 Saint Florian (then chief official of the Roman civil administration in Noricum) suffered martyrdom in the waves of the river Enns near the Roman castle Lauriacum because of this Christian faith.

He was buried at a place below the today's Basilica where a primitive sanctuary was built.

The monastery was first documented in 819. Since 1071 Canons Regular of Saint Augustine's order have been living there. Over the centuries the monastic building has adapted to the many changes in style. In parallel, the borough of St. Florian became a well-known place in Europe.