From 1770 to 1774 the famous great organ, since 1930 called Bruckner-organ, was built by the priest and organ-builder Franz X. Chrismann from...
Bartolomeo Carlone, the architect's brother, was in charge of the stucco work. The ceiling frescoes elaborated by Gump and Steidl, two painters from Munich, show the martyrdom of Saint Florian (he is flagellated, beaten, thrown into the river Enns and assumed in heaven where he is glorified as patron against fire). The altar-piece shows Our Lady's Assumption.
The choirstalls with organ lofts on both sides were made by Adam Franz from Linz and the sculptures of the four bishops by Jakob Auer from Bozen/Italy. The organ From 1770 to 1774 the famous great organ, since 1930 called Bruckner-organ, was built by the priest and organ-builder Franz X. Chrismann from Ljubljana/Slovenia. Restoration work was done from 1945 to 1951 and during the latest restoration the basilica has undergone. The sonorous sound derives from the 4 manuals, 103 sounding organ-stops and 7343 pipes.
Would you like to listen to the organ? Please announce your wish at the porter's lodge. Crypt The tombstones date from the Gothic period. The largest thereof is the one for abbot Peter Maurer (died in 1525). Remnants of walls from the time of the Romans and the foundations of the Gothic church can be seen. In the niches coffins of abbots are exposed.
Underneath the great organ there is the simple coffin of Anton Bruckner.
In the background the bones of 6000 people are stored which were discovered in 1291. They are said to be remnants of Christians who had been buried there since the time of the Romans. The bells in the monastery of St. Florian There are 11 bells that share a historical background because of their number and age. Their importance in the field of bells is not restricted to Austria but well spread all over Europe. Six bells issue as early as 1300. In 1717, the most recent one of the ancient bells was cast representing the biggest historical bell in Austria at Baroque times. In 1999, these 11 bells were supplemented by a new one, the so-called bell of birth. A second chime was supplied in 2000. This peal of 8 bells is rung to call for the Canons' prayer.
THE BASILICA IS OPEN ALL YEAR ROUND- OPENING HOURS 2016
till 20.3.: 7(6:30)-18
21.3.- 10.4.: 7(6:30)-19
11.4.- 4.9.: 7(6:30)-20
5.9.- 25.9.: 7(6:30)-19
26.9. 2016-19.3.2017: 7(6:30)-18
The basilica is opend at 6:30 during the week and at 7 o'clock on sundays and festive days.